Burgtheater

One of the most popular attractions in Vienna and the second oldest theatre in Europe is the Burgtheater. Opened on 1741adjacent to the Hofburg palace from the order of Empress Maria Theresia of Austria, it was originally called K.K. Hoftheater nachst der Burg and was the start of the German-language theatre in the city. Over a century later, the theater was rebuilt and moved to the Ringstrasse boulevard. It suffered heavy damages during the World War II and was only restored to its former glory in 1955. Today it is one of Europe’s top venues for the most important stage performances where world-class talents converge. In any given season, an average of 400,000 people come to watch any of the 800 performances played in Burgtheater. It is open for 10 months of the year (closing only for July and August).
Spanning an area of 28.5 meters wide and 23 meters deep the main stage of the Burgtheater is said to be one of the biggest in the world. It has three affiliate venues: the Akademietheater in Liszrstrasse, Kasino at Schwarzenbergplatz and the Vestibul also at the Burgtheater. The auditorium can seat about 1150 people with 12 special seats for disabled visitors. But perhaps the most outstanding feature of the Burgtheater is its impressive architecture and interior design. Done in the classic Renaissance style, the building’s façade is adorned with ornate sculptures of Greek gods and muses. The windows are freamed with Corinthian columns and the magnificent staircases were done by Franz Matsch, Gustav Klimt and his brother Ernst. Busts of famous writers such as Moliere, Shakespeare and Goethe can be seen around the hall and the foyer.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*