Palais Pallavicini

Rate this post

Vienna’s first Neo-Classical building is strategically located right in the heart of the city, surrounded by equally noteworthy attractions such as the Spanish Riding School and the Imperial Palace. The Palais Pallavicini was built in 1784 where the “Majoratshaus” or the local headquarters of the Counts of Salm once stood. The original palace was owned by the von Fries family (hence called Palais Fries) and designed by famous architect Ferdinand von Hetzendorf. It was later on sold to the family of Margrave Alfons Pallavicini in 1842 who rebuilt parts of the stately mansion and renamed it Palais Pallavicini. During its glory days in the 19th century, it was one of the city’s most illustrious venues for balls and concerts where music giants Mozart and Beethoven once performed. The von Fries family also kept a massive collection of art work in the estate: the gallery held over 300 paintings, 100,000 etchings with over 16,000 books in the library. When the Pallavicini family took over the building, they redesigned several parts of the house such as the richly gilded state rooms found on the second floor. Thus, the palace has the simple, classic façade while inside it is adorned and decorated in Baroque style – from the lavish ballrooms gilded with mirrors and ornate chandeliers to the salons.

Nowadays, the Pallavicini family still owns and uses parts of the palace while the rest is rented out for private parties and receptions. The Palais Pallavicini was one of the settings used in the 1949 British film “The Third Man.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*