The Vienna Prater is an amusement park in Vienna’s 2nd district. A place of nostalgic dreams for some, hours of fun for the family, oasis of greenery for almost everyone – and the location of the Giant Ferris Wheel, one of Vienna’s most famous symbols.
The Vienna Prater is open year round and is one of the most frequented attractions in the Danube metropolis. The central Ferris Wheel Square was redesigned in 2008. Now this entrance to the Prater amusement park is a nostalgic theme world reminiscent of the Vienna Prater in the year 1900.
Opening times for most of the attractions in the Prater are from the beginning of March to the end of October – from morning to midnight. Some attractions operate throughout the year.
The Giant Ferris Wheel is open from February to November and around New Year´s.
The Vienna Prater is also a popular recreational zone. Many parks and jogging areas can be discovered – in the middle of the city.
Did You Know this about the Prater?
- The Giant Ferris Wheel is just under 65 metres high and weighs more than 430 tonnes.
- The Prater is also the largest park within the city of Vienna.
- The Ferris Wheel starred in the Orson Welles movie The Third Man.
- The Wheel rotates at a blazing speed of rotate at the blazing speed of 2.7 kph (1.67mph).
- You can rent a cabin for a romantic candle light dinner for around 350 Euros – menu for 2 included!